[illumos-Discuss] autofs with direct maps and NIS

Aram Hăvărneanu aram.h at mgk.ro
Thu Feb 3 09:54:25 PST 2011

Probably not the best place for this, but since I use this for illumos
development and people here might now, I give it a try.

I have a NIS domain, authentication works just fine. I use autofs to
mount home directories and some work directories. This is the
configuration on the server side:

(server) $ uname -a
SunOS nexus 5.11 oi_148 i86pc i386 i86pc
(server) $
(server) $ hostname
nexus
(server) $ domainname
nex
(server) $
(server) $ cat /etc/auto_master
+auto_master
/net            -hosts          -nosuid,nobrowse
/home           auto_home       -nobrowse
/-              auto_direct
(server) $
(server) $ cat /etc/auto_home
*       nexus:/tank/export/home/&
+auto_home
(server) $
(server) $ cat /etc/auto_direct
/ws             nexus:/tank/export/ws
/opt/SUNWspro   nexus:/tank/export/opt/SUNWspro
(server) $
(server) $ grep autofs /etc/mnttab
auto_home       /home   autofs  indirect,ignore,nobrowse,dev=8f00002
 1296824253
auto_direct     /opt/SUNWspro   autofs  direct,ignore,dev=8f00006
 1296831541
-hosts  /net    autofs  nosuid,indirect,ignore,nobrowse,dev=8f00007
 1296831909
auto_direct     /ws     autofs  direct,ignore,dev=8f00008       1296831909
(server) $
(server) $ ls /ws
(server) $ /usr/sbin/mount | grep ws
/tank/export/ws on tank/export/ws
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/noatime/dev=2d90011 on
Fri Feb  4 15:59:31 2011
/ws on /tank/export/ws read/write/setuid/devices/dev=2d90011 on Fri
Feb  4 19:34:58 2011
(server) $

As you can see, besides the usual /etc/auto_home that sets up an
indirect map for mounting home directories, I also have
/etc/auto_direct, a direct map that's used to import some NFS
filesystems on-demand. Everything works fine on the server side, as
illustrated.

On the client side, NIS works just fine, and autofs works just fine
for importing home directories (via the indirect map):

(client) $ uname -a
SunOS OiBaseImage 5.11 oi_148 i86pc i386 i86pc
(client) $ hostname
OiBaseImage
(client) $ domainname
nex
(client) $
(client) $ /usr/sbin/ping nexus
nexus is alive
(client) $
(client) $ ypwhich
nexus
(client) $ ypcat -k auto.master
+auto_master
/home auto_home -nobrowse
/net -hosts             -nosuid,nobrowse
/- auto_direct
(client) $ ypcat -k auto.home
+auto_home
* nexus:/tank/export/home/&

(client) $ ypcat -k auto.direct
/opt/SUNWspro nexus:/tank/export/opt/SUNWspro
/ws nexus:/tank/export/ws
(client) $
(client) $ /sbin/mount | grep aram
/home/aram on nexus:/tank/export/home/aram
remote/read/write/setuid/devices/xattr/dev=8f80003 on Fri Feb  4
18:35:10 2011

As you can see, my home directory is imported from the server.
However, the on-demand filesystems configured via the direct map don't
work:

(client) $ cat /etc/auto_master
+auto_master
/net            -hosts          -nosuid,nobrowse
/home           auto_home       -nobrowse
(client) $
(client) $ grep automount /etc/nsswitch.conf
automount:  files nis
(client) $
(client) $ grep autofs /etc/mnttab
auto_home       /home   autofs  indirect,ignore,nobrowse,dev=8f00002
 1296834126
-hosts  /net    autofs  nosuid,indirect,ignore,nobrowse,dev=8f0000c
 1296839188
(client) $
(client) $ ls /home
admin1  aram
(client) $
(client) $ ls /ws
/ws: No such file or directory
(client) $

Any idea why not and how to proceed further? As you can see:

(client) $ ypcat -k auto.direct
/opt/SUNWspro nexus:/tank/export/opt/SUNWspro
/ws nexus:/tank/export/ws
(client) $

works correctly.

Thanks,