[illumos-Discuss] [illumos-Developer] ZFS spare disk usage issue

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Fri Mar 4 05:24:32 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all
>
> I just did a small test on RAIDz2 to check whether my suspicion was
> right about ZFS not treating spares as replicas/copies of drives, and
> I think I've found it true. The short story: If two spares replaces
> two drives in raidz2, losing a third drive, even with the spares
> active, makes the pool unavailable. See full report on

Update 2010-03-04 14:15 CET
I just tested on another system. This one, not in production yet, has a mirrored rpool and a 14-drive
RAID10 pool named tos-data. I started a copy from a Windows machine into this CIFS share just
to generate some traffic. Then I did a zfs detach of one side of each of the mirrors for tos-data and
created a new 5-drive raidz2 pool name jalla with two dedicated spares. I started a dd to fill it up
and plugged one drive, waited for it to resilver and plugged another, again waited for the resilver to
finish and plugged the third. The server now hangs on all pools. I've also tested removing drives
from mirrors and waiting for them to resilver to spares. This seems to work as expected, although I
doubt booting from one will work without grub being installed.

> ODT: http://karlsbakk.net/ZFS/ZFS%20Spare%20disk%20usage.odt
> PDF: http://karlsbakk.net/ZFS/ZFS%20Spare%20disk%20usage.pdf

These are mow updated as well

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.