[illumos-Developer] Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... / was: Re: illumos_145 i386 build status

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 05:22:01 PDT 2010

--- On Sun, 8/8/10, Jasse Jansson <jasse at yberwaffe.com> wrote:

> From: Jasse Jansson <jasse at yberwaffe.com>
> Subject: Re: [illumos-Developer] Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... / was: Re: illumos_145 i386 build status
> To: developer at lists.illumos.org
> Date: Sunday, August 8, 2010, 6:59 AM
> On 08/ 8/10 09:41 AM, Garrett D'Amore
> wrote:
> > The goals of the project were clear, and I don't think
> its wise to let either star or ksh93 hijack it for their own
> purposes.  I see a failure to reach consensus, and we
> need an implementation now.  So yes, I will make a
> decision when a group decision cannot be arrived at.
> My goal is the good of the project.
>
> +1
>
> Don't let politics get in the way of this project.

True. As noted, FreeBSD sed is POSIX:2004 compliant and 'ready' (i.e. non-ALPHA and tested).

Could this be a criteria we use moving forward:
1. Meets POSIX:2004 compliance
2. Does not break 'major' compatibility to Oracle's Solaris Next Dev.
3. Based on proven 'in the field' usage and acceptance.
4. Non alpha code - if possible.
5. Open sourced and meets license requirements

This way, it is not a political choice, biased opinion, or 'dictatorship' ruling but based on meeting the criteria put in place by the group (or high council/architectural committee). Also, the debate becomes about meeting the criteria, not the toolsets.

~ Ken Mays