[illumos-Developer] BSD iconv (was Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... )

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Aug 13 07:26:09 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 15:19 +0200, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> > If you believe that your code is OK otherwise, why not start with a port to
> > OpenSolaris now?
> >
> Well, first, I was CC'd to this discussion by someone but I've never
> told that I'm personally interested in porting it to OpenSolaris. I
> might be because I consider it a nice OS and I feel terribly sorry
> seeing what is happening with it these days but my primary focus is
> FreeBSD, so in my highly limited amount of time, for now, I prefer
> working on FreeBSD.
> > OK, so we need to first do a port and then compare the list of names from
> > iconv -l with the list obtained from Solaris SXCE and then check whether we
> > need to add aliases.
> >
> If you can send me a list of encoding names, I'll be more than happy to
> check if they are supported in FreeBSD iconv and add an alias if doesn't
> exist already.
>
> Gabor

I'm not too worried about encoding names, actually.  The various
short-hand aliases for full locale names do not need to be supported.
Full locale names are e.g. en_US.UTF-8.

The encoding names may be different... but I suspect not.  Because our
libc now uses the i18n components from... FreeBSD! :-)