[illumos-Developer] interesting userland project -- non-trivial

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Sun Aug 15 09:39:04 PDT 2010

So one of the tasks that someone who doesn't want to work on kernel
code, but is interested in a significant bit of userland work would be
to add the parallel/distributed features of dmake into the vanilla make
sources we have.

We need it to be compatible with Sun dmake, so that we don't have to
change a zillion lines of Makefile, nor ask other projects to do so.

This may be an excellent student project for a sufficiently motivated
and talented student or team of students.  I think the problem will be
challenging, but not insurmountable.  Let me know if you want to take
this project on.