[illumos-Developer] Something for later but interesting IMHO

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue Aug 17 07:35:04 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 14:32 +0300, Cyril Plisko wrote:
> 2010/8/17 Damian Wojsław <damian at wojslaw.pl>:
> > Quoting Michael <michaelsprivate at gmail.com>:
> >
> > cut
> >
> >> although this doesn't exactly answer your question: have you looked
> >> into VirtualBox? I've been running it fine on a machine that somewhat
> >> matches your description
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> --
> >> regards/mfg
> >> Michael Schuster
> >>

> > Yes, I'm using it, but VirtualBox on OpenSolaris asks me to turn on virt
> > flags support in order to host 64bit guests.
>
> In most cases that means that VT is disabled in the BIOS. Have you check that ?
>
> I am running 64bit guests (VirtualBox) all the time on my Core2 laptop

I've run 64-bit vbox guests on top of Solaris hosts as well.  It does
work.  I think this a BIOS setting.

There are multiple virtualization capabilities.  VMDq is one of the ones
that I think we lack, which would be interesting for some uses possibly
but is not yet supported.  VT-x should be supported today.