[illumos-Developer] initial webrev for freebsd tr

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Aug 18 10:07:29 PDT 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:

> > I would like to give everybody the same chance. I did test the ast-tr and it
> > failed. If the BSD-tr fails too, we should rather first check for possible
> > reasons. If you did compile evrything, it should be simple to put out the
> > libc.so and tr binaries for x86.
>
> I put them up at http://mexico.purplecow.org/gdamore/trtest

Thank you!

> I however am not going to hold up integration to wait for the entire
> universe to test and bless the implementation.  We have a critical
> feature gap now, and we need to close it right away.  We can address any
> bugs or other issues later via the normal bug process (which could
> include introducing an entirely different implementation if that is
> appropriate.)

Well, please look at this. I typed two lines of input.
The first line with ABC
the second line with ÖÄÜ

Expected result:
abc
öäü

Here is what we get:

LD_PRELOAD=./libc.so.1 ./tr  '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
ABC
abc
ÖÄÜ
ÖÄÜ

It seems to have the same problem as ast-tr

As an orientation:

/usr/bin/tr  '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
ABC
abc
ÖÄÜ
öäü

/usr/xpg4/bin/tr  '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
ABC
abc
ÖÄÜ
öäü

/usr/xpg6/bin/tr  '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
ABC
abc
ÖÄÜ
öäü