[illumos-Developer] initial webrev for freebsd tr

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Wed Aug 18 09:39:02 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 18:28 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
>
> > Are there specific tests you need to run?
>
> Well, something like a webrev is non-suitable for the integration of a new
> piece of code.

Huh?!?

If you mean that you want testing, yes, it passes the rudimentary tests
I gave it.

You don't get to have a veto power on integration though (nor does
anyone else in this particular matter.)  If you have specific feedback,
I want to hear it -- if you raise valid concerns then I'll be happy to
hold back integration.

> > At this point I think I want to integrate what I have asap, because it
> > will surely be better than what we have now (a completely non-functional
> > closed source bit -- it fails to link properly!)  We can then address
> > regressions or test failures easily enough via bug-fixes.  (And this is
> > something that other people such as yourself can help out with, too, if
> > they are so inclined.)
>
> I would like to give everybody the same chance. I did test the ast-tr and it
> failed. If the BSD-tr fails too, we should rather first check for possible
> reasons. If you did compile evrything, it should be simple to put out the
> libc.so and tr binaries for x86.

I put them up at http://mexico.purplecow.org/gdamore/trtest

I however am not going to hold up integration to wait for the entire
universe to test and bless the implementation.  We have a critical
feature gap now, and we need to close it right away.  We can address any
bugs or other issues later via the normal bug process (which could
include introducing an entirely different implementation if that is
appropriate.)

	- Garrett