[illumos-Developer] LLVM / clang anyone?

Antonio Vieiro antonio at antonioshome.net
Thu Aug 19 08:59:25 PDT 2010

Hi all,

So here we come to the developer list from the discuss list.

We were talking about the LLVM/clang compiler, that promises faster
compile times [1], that has been recently awarded with the SIGPLAN
Software Systems award [2], and that is able to compile the FreeBSD
kernel [3] (but not all BSD ports yet).

It seems LLVM 2.8 does not support Sparc 64 (but does support Sparc 32),
do that is a problem.

Garrett wisely said in the discuss list that

 > I'm very supportive any effort to support new compilers.  However, we
 > will not be adding new "shadow" compilers, and we will need to retain
 > support for the compilers we already have.  I want to enable choice,
 > without forcing pain and suffering on other people.

Cheers,
Antonio

[1] http://clang.llvm.org/performance.html
[2] http://blog.llvm.org/2010/06/llvm-receives-first-ever-sigplan.html