[illumos-Developer] trouble getting SUNWspro

Mike Gerdts mgerdts at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 07:01:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>
>> > Are we going to capture some of these distributions, such as the
>> > compiler, and the closed bins ?  Or is the plan to obviate them before
>> > we lose access?
>>
>> We want to obviate them asap.  The problem is that I don't believe that
>> the compilers are technically redistributable, but to be fair I have not
>> checked the licenses.
>>
>> In the meantime, please grab your own archive copies.
>
> I did not read any of the compiler related information but I remember that Sun
> claimed that everything from the Indiana distro is redistributable. It may make
> sense to check the legal state.
>
> In order to be sure to make no mistake, it seems to be a good idea if everybody
> fetches his own copy.
>
> Jörg

The license is available at...

http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/info/0/developer%2Fsunstudio12u1%4012.1.1%2C5.11-0.111%3A20100306T002245Z

2. Permitted Uses.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and restrictions and
exceptions set forth in the Software's documentation, Sun grants you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to

(a) reproduce and use internally the Software for the purposes of
developing or running an OpenSolaris distribution.

(b) reproduce and distribute the Software (and also portions of Software
identified as Redistributable in the documentation accompanying Software),
provided that you (i) distribute the Software or Redistributables bundled
as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, OpenSolaris code;
(ii) do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained
in or on the Software or Redistributables, (iii) only distribute the
Software or Redistributables subject to a license agreement that protects
Sun's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement,
and (iv) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and
against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or
expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim,
lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from the use
or distribution of any and all Programs, Software, or Redistributables.

Someone that claims "IAAL" needs to help with thorny issues such as
definition of "OpenSolaris code" and the risks associated with section
5 (Term and Termination).

Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/