[illumos-Developer] trouble getting SUNWspro

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Wed Aug 25 09:54:49 PDT 2010

Mike Gerdts wrote:

> The license is available at...
>
> http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/info/0/developer%2Fsunstudio12u1%4012.1.1%2C5.11-0.111%3A20100306T002245Z

Note that this is Studio 12.1, unpatched, and the wrong compiler both
for building ON (should be 12+patches), and linting ON (should be
12.1+patches).  The license on the correct compilers is, perhaps,
different.

Some of the things these patches fix are directly relevant to ON (at
least, so I was told, back when telling people things was normal).

Also, the workaround mentioned at the top of this thread is, while
probably functional, not equivalent, as the reason ON uses two separate
Studio releases, is that the lint shipped in Studio 12 was basically
broken (see references in the ON heads-up mentioning this).  So while
your build will work, using the Studio 12 lint gets you back into a
place where it's not producing warnings (or not deterministically
producing warnings...) the rest of us would see.

I don't know the state of either straight 12.1, or 12.1+February patches
as far as building and booting the OS, but I do know that the proposed
CBE version has had additional patches applied, since (I don't know what
they are, though.)

Setting the _LINT variables in illumos.sh seems preferably to
hard-coding things in Makefile.master.  Switching the compilers to a gcc
primary/studio shadow seems better in the long term than relying on the
continued availability of a suitable studio, but that leaves lint
hanging without replacement, without the work of switching the build to
understand, for instance, splint (which no doubt feels a different set
of things are buggy, never mind things like lint libraries which would
be affected).

-- Rich