[illumos-Developer] Updating illumos-gate

Jeppe Toustrup illumos at tenzer.dk
Sun Aug 29 23:30:49 PDT 2010

2010/8/30 Mike Gerdts <mgerdts at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon at sonicle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I understand.
>> I just thought build versioning numbers was something to be
>> determined by the source repository.  I mean, how can we discuss
>> about builds when we don't agree on build numberings?
>
> Since there may be several commits in a day, simply specifying the
> date of the build (in your local time zone) may not be sufficiently
> descriptive.  If something like the following is used it becomes
> pretty easy to know what the latest changeset was.
>
>  ... -Ot illumos-$(hg tip --template '{node|short}')

I thought about changing the default of the VERSION var in illumos.sh
to include the revision number of a build, so it would at least be
included one place, instead of people claiming to just be running
"illumos-gate" or "nightly". It would then output something like
"repository-name_revision" so it could be something like:
"illumos-gate_13160".

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup