[illumos-Developer] Status update on the illumos foundation legal process

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Sun Dec 5 09:51:20 PST 2010

Sorry I forgot to send this out Friday.

We are working with the Software Freedom Law Center & Eben Moglen on the
creation of the illumos legal entity.  Nexenta have enlisted the help of
Damien Eastwood (one of the more prominent former Sun lawyers) to help
drive this.  Jason Yoho at Nexenta is driving this fairly hard as well,
so there are now more people than just me pushing this forward as
quickly as we can.

We have set a goal that the legal entity (an illumos foundation) should
exist with legal presence before the year's end.   I'm told that this is
an achievable goal.

I'll have more updates on this soon, I expect, but the process is moving
forward.