[illumos-Developer] What should Illumos comprise of ?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Dec 8 06:03:42 PST 2010

Sriram Narayanan <sriram at belenix.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Until some months ago, I used to consider it poor engineering that ON
> comprised of the kernel plus the userland, until I gathered from an
> earlier mail thread on this list that a number of userland tools are
> provided for POSIX compliance.
> Could someone confirm that this understanding is correct ?

There is the POSIX base standard:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/toc.htm

and what ONNV provides is basically what the POSIX base standard defines.
This has been what UNIX sources did historically did include and for this
reason, e.g. FreeBSD implements a similar set of commands for their basic
source bundle.

BTW: as you can see, the named standard contains pax(1) and for compatibility
with previous standards, e.g.:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/

there is also a need to include cpio(1) and tar(1).

While previous AT&T UNIX sources and BSD (before 4.4-light) also included
make(1), sccs(1) and the C-compiler in the base source tree, Sun did
artificially remove a lot of parts from the OS base source code just to match
internal company hierarchy structures.

Sun also later added a lot of code that does not really belong to the basic OS
source.

I believe it would make sense to go back to the roots. This means: libm, make,
sccs, archivers, ... belong into ONNV and some other sources could be moved to
other consolidations. I believe that splitting sources should be oriented on
logical dependencies and that ONNV after some time should be more or less
self-contained.

Jörg