[illumos-Developer] What should Illumos comprise of ?

Adam Leventhal ahl at delphix.com
Fri Dec 10 10:24:23 PST 2010

> I believe it would make sense to go back to the roots. This means: libm, make,
> sccs, archivers, ... belong into ONNV and some other sources could be moved to
> other consolidations. I believe that splitting sources should be oriented on
> logical dependencies and that ONNV after some time should be more or less
> self-contained.

Rather than being prescriptive about exactly what we'd like to see in
illumos, it would be more productive to be descriptive about the kinds
of things. The goal of illumos must be to enable flexibility and
simplicity in downstream distros. We shouldn't be removing
functionality that downstream distros are using, nor should we add
functionality that distros can readily pull from other sources. Beyond
that, illumos should serve the common interest of its distros; it
should follow rather than lead when it can.

Things like libm seem like great candidates: things that everyone
needs, that may have dependencies on other parts of illumos, and that
are readily agreed upon. We should maintain the status quo for things
that are already in illumos (it would be more and unnecessary work to
create new source repositories for those things), and not draw in new
features that can and already do live outside of the source base.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Delphix                        http://dtrace.org/blogs/ahl