[illumos-Developer] Heads up: perl 5.8.4 removal

Cedric Blancher cedric.blancher at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 9 08:05:59 PST 2010

On 9 November 2010 16:40, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 10:41 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> John Sonnenschein <johnsonnenschein at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This is a heads-up mainly for distribution maintainers

One of the great advantages of Sun's /usr/bin/perl was that it never
had problems with the stability of it's API, unfortunately it was
unusable for tasks outside the Solaris operating system for many other
reasons, like the decision to cheat in the SPEC benchmarks for SPARC
and define that a floating point value uses double and not long
double, which of course broke perl scripts which assume a certain
precision in calculations.
I hope we can do better than Sun and Oracle and provide a stable API
and precise calculations.

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher at googlemail.com>