[illumos-Developer] Heads up: perl 5.8.4 removal

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Nov 9 07:40:32 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 10:41 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> John Sonnenschein <johnsonnenschein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a heads-up mainly for distribution maintainers
> >
> > with the putback of:
> >
> > 377 removal of perl 5.8.4
> >
> > Perl 5.8.4 and it's packages ( perl-584, perl-584/extras ) are no longer being delivered. One important result of this is that the /usr/perl5/bin/perl and /usr/bin/perl is also not being delivered.
>
> What porpose does this change have?
>
> What problem does this change fix?

It removes some 1M lines of code, which contributed significantly to
compile times, and which never should have been in ON in the first
place, out of ON.  Its also *obsolete*.

If you want or need perl, please get it from a distribution.  For
SchilliX, I recommend you package up perl yourself.

	- Garrett