[illumos-Developer] "od" i386 binary for benchmark

Jason King jason.brian.king at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:29:16 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 17:20 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>
>> > The implementation you offer has definitely fewer problems than the
>> > implementation offered by Garret, but I still remember several problems from
>> > the tests I did. I did not write down everything, so there may be actually more
>> > problems than these:
>>
>> As far as I know, I've fixed all known problems in the version of "od"
>> that is integrated, including the i18n issues you mention below.  (In
>> fact, I found several of the same i18n multibyte character related
>> problems in both ksh93 and the closed code, which I detailed to
>> Olga/Roland some time ago.)
>>
>> So your comments above, again, look like "your implementation is busted,
>> and mine is better, nyah nyah" without any substantiating information.
>> I find it absolutely amazing that you find it easier to offer unhelpful
>> criticism and implement your own rewrite of a tool than simply to offer
>> constructive, helpful advice.
>
> My impression is that you don't like to have a fact based discussion and
> repeatedly try to belittle other people.

What facts? All you offer are assertions without proof -- 'your
implementation is wrong, mine is better'.  Had you said, 'your
implementation does X when it should do Y', then an actual discussion
can be held.  I think most everyone has been incredibly restrained
when dealing with you (and wasting a lot of everyone's time in the
process).