[illumos-Developer] "od" i386 binary for benchmark

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Nov 10 09:16:49 PST 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 17:20 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > The implementation you offer has definitely fewer problems than the
> > implementation offered by Garret, but I still remember several problems from
> > the tests I did. I did not write down everything, so there may be actually more
> > problems than these:
>
> As far as I know, I've fixed all known problems in the version of "od"
> that is integrated, including the i18n issues you mention below.  (In
> fact, I found several of the same i18n multibyte character related
> problems in both ksh93 and the closed code, which I detailed to
> Olga/Roland some time ago.)
>
> So your comments above, again, look like "your implementation is busted,
> and mine is better, nyah nyah" without any substantiating information.
> I find it absolutely amazing that you find it easier to offer unhelpful
> criticism and implement your own rewrite of a tool than simply to offer
> constructive, helpful advice.

My impression is that you don't like to have a fact based discussion and
repeatedly try to belittle other people.

As everybody could see, I like to help Olga and I did send a useful list to
Olga. Olga just needs to compare the output from my od with the output from
the AT&T od to get _very_ detailed information on all mentioned UTF-8 related
problems. As you made it very clear that you are not interested in help, I
did give up trying to help you and as a result did not write down problems
with your implementaion. From my belly feeling, I would however guess that I
did see more than 10 problems while testing your current od implementation.

As mentioned before, I decided to use my od implementation on SchilliX because
I am interested in having a sufficiently compatible distro and I am of course
listening to every bug report on my software. As my software has been
published under CDDL, everybody who is interested may use it.

Jörg