[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Cyril Plisko cyril.plisko at mountall.com
Fri Nov 12 01:12:33 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:

> So, from my perspective there are three options:
>
> a) accept that dependencies change, and deal with the fallout when a
> dependency changes.  (This is hard to do when we don't "own" our own
> copy of python, and worse, python brings with it *GNOME* dependencies!).

AFAIK python itself does not depend on any GNOME component.
That probably an artifact of the JDS consolidation. There is no reason why
Python add-ons should not be delivered separately (similar to the
source itself).
There is no obvious reason Python shouldn't come with SFW consolidation.
In fact JDS/SFW separation is a bit unnatural, but that is probably
not ON/Illumos
problem to solve.

> b) resolve the dependency by integrating python locally into ON (which I
> think most people would agree is not a great idea)

Totally agree (not a great idea)

--
Regards,
        Cyril