[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Piotr Jasiukajtis estseg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:45:25 PST 2010

My own solution to all of these current 'issues' would be to:
1. Create illumos-tools consolidation or whatever.
2. Move all non essential staff there. By non essential I mean for
example perl, python and some kind of system tools.
3. Concentrate on a *REAL* kernel work.

Speaking of python, there is nothing wrong with it.
As you said we're living in 21st century after all.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Ivan Nudzik <ivan.nudzik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see Python bindings/api to ZFS management as a great benefit. Having
> similar ones for resource management (counterpart to newtask, dispadm...),
> network (counterpart to dladm, ifconfig...), IPF, zones... and Illumos going
> to be No.1 choice for many cloud/storage/HA systems adopters. We are now in
> 21st century and there is no place for C-mainly approach.... the same as we
> left assembler-mainly approach few decades ago. 'Hard work' has to be done
> by C and 'the higher logic' in productive scripting. It greatly improves
> solution delivery times and stability/security too. Python class of every
> manageable part of ON - ultimately sharp 'swiss knife' from best Unix ever!
> ;-)
> On other side I understand the effort of keeping Python interpreter build
> solid and up to date. But comparing to Perl (Mono - there is some noise
> about it), Python takes less time to manage build. If there should be a
> scripting included, Python is the best choice from my point of view (and
> skills with other scriptings).
> And Ad. to comments in thread.... about *Real* developers and 'picking 1
> language': Real developers are those, who makes the most stable
> functionality on the least lines of code - no matter which combinations of
> langs; speaking only 1 language - it's a sign of analphabet nowadays - for
> example Google separates Java developers from "Java developers" by requiring
> also knowledge of coding in Python.
>
> That's my opinion...
>
> I.
>
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://cr.illumos.org/view/jpj55p64/
>>
>> This work was done by another Nexentian.  The goal is to eliminate the
>> use of Python from zfs, which was "split" into having some percentage of
>> its code written in Python and the rest in C.  (Fixing this is a step
>> along the road towards making python installation "optional" at Runtime.
>> The other dependencies are beadm and IPS.  We're working on both of
>> those as well, and not all distros will use IPS anyway.)
>>
>> Please provide feedback.  The timer on this expires in one week.
>>
>>        - Garrett

Piotr Jasiukajtis | estibi | SCA OS0072
http://estseg.blogspot.com