[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Moinak Ghosh moinakg at belenix.org
Fri Nov 12 07:10:04 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Piotr Jasiukajtis <estseg at gmail.com> wrote:
> My own solution to all of these current 'issues' would be to:
> 1. Create illumos-tools consolidation or whatever.
> 2. Move all non essential staff there. By non essential I mean for
> example perl, python and some kind of system tools.
> 3. Concentrate on a *REAL* kernel work.
>
> Speaking of python, there is nothing wrong with it.
> As you said we're living in 21st century after all.

   I think this tools consolidation is a great idea. While bindings for various
   languages and ease of sysadmin scripting interfaces is desirable the
   core system itself should not have dependencies on external components.
   Having core things like /sbin/zfs depend on python 2.6 is a bad idea. They
   should be standalone. Additional layered tooling can be in Python but the
   core system should be self contained, modular and easily amenable to
   minimization.

   Distros can of course add a whole set of layered software,
additional bindings
   etc. For core system scripting I think ksh93 is a very capable shell with
   enough programmatic features.

Regards,
Moinak.