[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Jason King jason.brian.king at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:50:08 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Ivan Nudzik <ivan.nudzik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see Python bindings/api to ZFS management as a great benefit. Having
> similar ones for resource management (counterpart to newtask, dispadm...),
> network (counterpart to dladm, ifconfig...), IPF, zones... and Illumos going
> to be No.1 choice for many cloud/storage/HA systems adopters. We are now in
> 21st century and there is no place for C-mainly approach.... the same as we
> left assembler-mainly approach few decades ago. 'Hard work' has to be done
> by C and 'the higher logic' in productive scripting. It greatly improves
> solution delivery times and stability/security too. Python class of every
> manageable part of ON - ultimately sharp 'swiss knife' from best Unix ever!

That is not what this is about.   There is no issue with maintaining
python bindings for zfs.  The issue is the actual /sbin/zfs command
itself requires python to operate fully.  In other words, you cannot
administer zfs completely without python.  This is about removing that
dependency.

Having bindings (or really any public programmatic interfaces) for the
various administration commands is a separate issue (though a good
idea).