[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 08:23:45 PST 2010

--- On Fri, 11/12/10, Cyril Plisko <cyril.plisko at mountall.com> wrote:
> > So, from my perspective there are three options:
> >
> > a) accept that dependencies change, and deal with the
> fallout when a
> > dependency changes.  (This is hard to do when we
> don't "own" our own
> > copy of python, and worse, python brings with it
> *GNOME* dependencies!).
>
> AFAIK python itself does not depend on any GNOME
> component.
> That probably an artifact of the JDS consolidation. There
> is no reason why
> Python add-ons should not be delivered separately (similar
> to the
> source itself).
> There is no obvious reason Python shouldn't come with SFW
> consolidation.
> In fact JDS/SFW separation is a bit unnatural, but that is
> probably
> not ON/Illumos
> problem to solve.
>

> > b) resolve the dependency by integrating python
> locally into ON (which I
> > think most people would agree is not a great idea)
>
> Totally agree (not a great idea)
>
> > c) eliminate the dependency by sticking to a compiled
> language (or in
> > some cases, to shell languages that are integrated).
> >
> > I have chosen "c", which also happens to be "C". :-)
> >
> > Of course there are other arguments to be made about
> runtime
> > performance, C being a common denominator amongst
> programmers, etc.  But
> > those all come second to the main problem which is
> dependency
> > management.

Simplification, really. Not so much best tool for the job, but simplification of overhead resources and dependencies. You can build the
kernel environment with just a basic C compiler requirement (meaning, without having to have the inclusion of other compiler variants within the kernel tree - they can be external resources, if needed).

Having kernel systematic parts depend on python/perl dependencies is like cooking eggs in a microwave with no water.

~ Ken Mays