[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Nov 12 09:22:44 PST 2010

I don't want to degenerate into a language debate, please.  This is not
about the the best language, its about managing our *dependencies*.

Python, perl, mono, java, C++, ruby and all those other languages have
their advocates, and they each have good and bad points.

However, I will point out some things:

a) each of these languages should be *optional*.  A distro might choose
to add layered software on top, but we should let that be a distro
decision rather than a decision made by the core system.

b) opinions raised by folks who aren't contributing code ... well lets
just say they don't carry very much weight.  I'm of the opinion that
that opinions about the underlying tech should be weighted by amount of
contribution.  That might not be entirely fair, since a few people
contribute a great deal, and a lot of others contribute nearly nothing
besides their opinions.  But I did say at the beginning that illumos was
a meritocracy, didn't I?  Let's see some merit!

c) Anyone who says Python is necessarily easier isn't looking at the
full picture.  We have some 15M lines, the vast majority of which is in
C.  I can code up a fix for a simple problem in 10 minutes just like
they probably can in Python. (If its in Python, its going to take me
*far* longer, because I first have to learn the language.)   Of cours ea
difficult problem is going to take longer no matter which language is
used.

There is an argument to be made that its better to make things easier
for the "proven contributors" than to penalize them in order to try to
lure some hypothetical future contribution. :-)

d) Python will always be required by the *build* system, mostly because
our SCM (mercurial) depends on it.  I'm talking about removing *runtime*
dependencies.

	- Garrett