[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Bryan Cantrill bryancantrill at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:10:30 PST 2010

Garrett,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
> I don't want to degenerate into a language debate, please.  This is not
> about the the best language, its about managing our *dependencies*.
>
> Python, perl, mono, java, C++, ruby and all those other languages have
> their advocates, and they each have good and bad points.
>
> However, I will point out some things:
>
> a) each of these languages should be *optional*.  A distro might choose
> to add layered software on top, but we should let that be a distro
> decision rather than a decision made by the core system.

YES.  The issue here is that those of us who are trying to build real
illumos-based systems need the ability to have greatly scaled down
images -- and having zfs(1) _require_ Python is simply a terrible
design decision.  This is not about Python -- this is about a critical
system command that has developed a wholly unnecessary dependency on a
complicated software system out of nothing more than lazy software
engineering.  It is critical that this be reversed -- and indeed,
because we (Joyent) didn't need the subcommands that have the
dependency -- we simply ripped this out so we could move forward.  But
the proper solution is much more desirable and this is a change that
we strongly support.

> b) opinions raised by folks who aren't contributing code ... well lets
> just say they don't carry very much weight.  I'm of the opinion that
> that opinions about the underlying tech should be weighted by amount of
> contribution.  That might not be entirely fair, since a few people
> contribute a great deal, and a lot of others contribute nearly nothing
> besides their opinions.  But I did say at the beginning that illumos was
> a meritocracy, didn't I?  Let's see some merit!

YES, again.  We are a small community, and we cannot afford senseless
infighting from those who are not cutting code or otherwise seeking to
take the system forward.  Several of us (or indeed, many of us) have
made a tremendous professional bet on this system, and I would like to
think that professionalism is (or can become) a hallmark of our
community.  So let's stick to the facts, and let's give most weight to
those who are contributing.  This isn't about Python as a whole --
this is about a specific use that is entirely elective and (frankly)
inappropriate, and I'm very glad this is getting resolved!

        - Bryan