[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Ivan Nudzik ivan.nudzik at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 08:37:23 PST 2010

My comment was not offensive, just a comment saying some opinion. I must
type more emoticons. ;-) No problem with meritocracy (I remeber), just
not to fall into autocracy.

There were some misunderstanding on my side. I agree that zfs command
shouldn't have python dependency/embedding, it's also better to have
filesystem commands statically linked when things goes bad on FS. That's
for why I didn't took this combination into account and started comment
about python zfs bindings.

I know that Illumos going to be very stripped and my comment is to think
about only in case that there will be a decision to keep/add some
scripting included.

I'm not saying that 15M lines of C code has to be rewritten to Python.
Python position is the same as shell scripting is. Difference is that
not calling bunch of system commands, but directly calling
syscall/ioctl/whateverAPI of op. system. Benefits of it are clear.

It's never late to learn new language. It takes ~3days for skilled C/C++
developer to learn Python, just not to afraid. ;-) But C/C++ and Java
developers are usually religious to programming language of their
preference. ;-)

I.