[illumos-Developer] dgroup.tab and friends

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Fri Nov 12 22:39:56 PST 2010

I've recently been looking in some libraries (libadm, libpkg, etc.) and
ran across a bunch of code for managing dgroup.tab.  I was curious.. I
find some commands getdgrp, listdgrp, etc, which seem aimed at managing
something called "device groups".

Searching online, I found some references to this stuff in man pages,
but I can't seem to find any actual examples of how this is used, or
evidence that it is even useful.

Does anyone here have background information?

The supporting library code is particularly crufty, and I'd like to
clean it up.  Perhaps we can just eliminate some of this stuff?  Or is
it useful in ways that I don't understand?