[illumos-Developer] HEADS UP: sparc build fixed, niagra crypto removed

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Fri Nov 19 12:34:17 PST 2010

> First off, I've fixed the SPARC build.  So you can go back to building
> illumos on SPARC.
>
> Second, I've removed the n2cp and ncp drivers which provided Niagra hw
> accelerated crypto.  The bits are located in the old sparc crypto
> tarball, which you can obtain from the OpenSolaris download site at
> Oracle.  They were removed because of
>
> a) we would have had to reinstate the crypto tarball on sparc, which may
> have caused other grief.
>
> b) I can't verify for certain that they would have worked
>
> c) illumos will probably never Niagra crypto acceleration unless specs
> for the necessary hardware are made available (which seems unlikely)
>
> d) ultimately, these drivers are not *necessary* for correct operation
> of the system.
>
> If you want to add the drivers manually, you will need to copy them into
> the right place (from the crypto tarball) -- these may or may not work
> so caveat emptor:
>
> /platform/sun4v/kernel/drv/ncp.conf
> /platform/sun4v/kernel/drv/n2cp.conf
> /platform/sun4v/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ncp
> /platform/sun4v/kernel/drv/sparcv9/n2cp
>
> Then to enable them you need to configure them with add_drv, like this:
>
> add_drv -i '"SUNW,kt-mau" "SUNW,n2-mau" "SUNW,sunv4-ncp" "SUNW,vf-mau"'
> ncp
>
> add_drv -i '"SUNW,kt-cwq" "SUNW,n2-cwq" "SUNW,vf-cwq"' n2cp
>

> Thanks.
>
> 	- Garrett

This is excellent news.

I have set aside a build server here for this and am looking forwards to
trying a full bootstrap. Is there a requirements page somewhere that would
detail the build process ?  Do we need a minimal install base to begin
with of snv_138 ( or similar ) and Oracle Studio 12.2 ?

I have the following server set aside at Blastwave for the task :

                   Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10s_u9wos_14a SPARC
     Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 11 August 2010
gamma console login: root
Password:
Last login: Fri Nov 19 20:45:44 on console
Nov 19 21:39:35 gamma login: ROOT LOGIN /dev/console
Oracle Corporation      SunOS 5.10      Generic Patch   January 2005
#
# uname -a
SunOS gamma 5.10 Generic_144488-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890
# psrinfo -pv
The physical processor has 2 virtual processors (1 17)
  UltraSPARC-IV+ (portid 1 impl 0x19 ver 0x22 clock 1800 MHz)
The physical processor has 2 virtual processors (3 19)
  UltraSPARC-IV+ (portid 3 impl 0x19 ver 0x22 clock 1800 MHz)
#

# prtdiag -v
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire V890
System clock frequency: 150 MHz
Memory size: 8192 Megabytes

========================= CPUs

           Run   E$  CPU    CPU
Brd  CPU   MHz   MB Impl.   Mask
--- ----- ---- ---- ------- ----
 B  1, 17 1800 32.0 US-IV+   2.2
 B  3, 19 1800 32.0 US-IV+   2.2

========================= Memory Configuration
===============================

           Logical  Logical  Logical
      MC   Bank     Bank     Bank         DIMM    Interleave  Interleaved
 Brd  ID   num      size     Status       Size    Factor      with
----  ---  ----     ------   -----------  ------  ----------  -----------
  B    1     0      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    1     1      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    1     2      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    1     3      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    3     0      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    3     1      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    3     2      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0
  B    3     3      1024MB   no_status     512MB     8-way        0

.
.
.
System PROM revisions:
----------------------
OBP 4.30.4.c 2010/09/29 09:44

I'm more than happy to grant ssh access and console acess to the right
person who would like to take a kick at a build. I am sure this machine
could do what is needed in six or seven hours.

What I am looking for is the details on how one gets the whole code base
to build because the OpenSolaris project was getting very fuzzy on that
and often times a build would fail for some undocumented nuance or patch
rev in the compilers or some such magic incantation. That was why I
finally gave up with doing it at all. It was too much like floundering in
the dark.

However I'd like to jump on top of this right away if someone wants to get
involved also.

--
Dennis Clarke
dclarke at opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris