[illumos-Developer] ejecting the archivers from illumos-gate

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Nov 30 07:07:59 PST 2010

>> I think the miniroot build and runtime uses cpio.
>> Don't have time to look right now.
>
> Many procedures in Solaris depend on cpio and unfortunately, they even
> depend
> on undocumented features from cpio. pkgadd(1) is such a candidate. Star
> implements the needed features, so it is even possible to replace the Sun
> programs by star. Note that the GNU variants of the utilities do not
> implement
> the needed features and thus cannot replace the sun programs.
>
> Jörg

Just a question. When you say "undocumented" do you mean "not in the
manpage" or "not described in the POSIX or SUSv3 specs at OpenGroup" or
perhaps simply that the options being used are in the open source code and
no where else?

As a added comment I do know that pkgadd has a number of small options
that are documented in the source and no where else. Like the silent
suppression of the copyright file from the package manifest.

--
Dennis Clarke
dclarke at opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris