[illumos-Developer] ejecting the archivers from illumos-gate

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 29 22:06:37 PST 2010

Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:
> All else equal, I would agree with this statement, but, as usual, all
> else is not equal. The Oracle provided tar is a black box which we can't
> make any changes to. We cannot fix any bugs in it, we cannot improve
> compatibility, we cannot make it use Garrett's still-shiny I18N
> functions.

ITYM pax, not tar:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/tar/
http://hg.openindiana.org/illumos-gate/file/tip/usr/src/cmd/tar

Oracle has even given you improved GNU compatibility over the last released
OpenSolaris build in the sources delivered post-134 but pre-147:

http://hg.openindiana.org/illumos-gate/log/tip/usr/src/cmd/tar/tar.c

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com