[illumos-Developer] ejecting the archivers from illumos-gate

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 30 01:38:16 PST 2010

Wiadomość napisana przez Garrett D'Amore w dniu 2010-11-29, o godz. 19:32:
> Whereas:
>
> * there are many different archivers handing cpio, tar, pax, and
> "proprietary" (or tool-specific) variants, and
>
> * the tools themselves generally rely only upon POSIX APIs, and
>
> * pax (the POSIX compliant tool) is currently closed source, and
>
> * tar is itself usually replaced by GNU tar or star in distributions,
> and
>
> * integrating schily tar in illumos-gate has proven to be "unreasonably
> challenging",
>
> * GNU tar is not suitable for integration for a variety of reasons, and
>
> * ksh93's versions of pax, tar, and cpio has been found lacking in other
> respects,

Notably missing is libarchive, which on FreeBSD and MacOS X provides
tar(1) and cpio(1).

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?