[illumos-Developer] webrev: printf

Guido Berhoerster guido+illumos.org at berhoerster.name
Thu Oct 14 08:03:17 PDT 2010

* Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> [2010-10-14 04:08]:
> So I finally got tired of waiting for someone else to do a printf
> replacement-- I had thought this would be a trivial thing to do via
> ksh93.  It wasn't, and I wound up taking a different route after first
> trying to use ksh93.   There are details here:
>
> http://gdamore.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-implementation-of-printf.html

What compatibility problems is this supposed to address or better
what is the overall strategy regarding shell and shell-utilities
compatibility here?

Is this really necessary when both /sbin/sh and /usr/bin/ksh in
current OpenSolaris/Illumos are already fundamentally incopatible
to Solaris 10 and earlier?

Any /sbin/sh script calling printf without absolute path will get
the ksh93 builtin anyway (and is likely break in other ways if it
expects to get the SVR4 shell).

BTW, this behavior is not ksh93-specific, the builtins of bash
and even ancient ash barf on such broken usage of printf.

--
Guido Berhoerster