[illumos-Developer] webrev: add quiesce(9E) support to ixgbe driver

Joerg Goltermann jg at osn.de
Thu Oct 14 09:07:56 PDT 2010

Hello,

On 14.10.2010 00:21, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 00:06 +0200, Joerg Goltermann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've uploaded a small diff to cr.illumos.org which add quiesce/
>> fastreboot support to the ixgbe driver.
>>
>> http://cr.illumos.org/view/1nvg3l6p
>>
>> Any comments welcome. Please be gentle, this is my first webrev..
>
> This won't work on a debug kernel.
>
> The assertion at line 1367 in ixgbe_chip_stop() will fail when called
> from the quiesce entry point in a debug kernel.

OK that's a problem, I'm running an non-debug kernel.

> The rest of *looks* ok, but I'd use extreme caution with those reset
> routines... there's a lot of indirection in there, and you have to make
> sure that nothing ever touches a mutex.

It is easy to copy function calls from ixgbe_chip_stop to ixgbe_quiesce
and skip the assertion. I've check some other drivers and they all do
nothing really strange.

I have to systems running with the first version and the ixgbe's work
fine after fastreboots.

http://cr.illumos.org/view/ewunnxnl is a new version.

  - Joerg

--
OSN Online Service Nuernberg GmbH, Bucher Str. 78, 90408 Nuernberg
Tel: +49 911 39905-0 - Fax: +49 911 39905-55 - http://www.osn.de