[illumos-Developer] review: nuke staleness from svr4pkg

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 04:15:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
>
>> As part of the first round of changes where I'm giving some luvin' to
>> the SVR4 packaging command suite.  The first step is to trim a bunch of
>> legacy that is not needed (stuff that should have been done *years
>> ago*).
>>
>> The webrev is here:
>>
>> http://mexico.purplecow.org/gdamore/webrev/presvr4/
>
> I strongly object _any_ change in these tools before we did discuss what we
> like to achieve and before we have an agreement

I don't see anything too contentious in what's proposed. The code is in
pretty deradful shape, and needs an axe rather than a scalpel.

But I do agree that we need a wider SVR4 packaging project to define
what the goals are.

I've done a fair amount of work in this area, some of which went into
the source before IPS effectively blocked it from changes. Some of
my recent work is here:

http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/sprate.html

Now, I wouldn't for a moment suggest that the code there is suitable
for integration, but as a result of that work I've got a much better
understanding of how the tools are implemented, and have been
playing around with ways to make the whole SVR4-based stack
better. (And one of the things I've done is remove the ability for
pkgadd to retrieve packages over http - you want the packaging
stack to have that ability, put pkgadd is really the wrong place to
do it.)

--
-Peter Tribble