[illumos-Developer] review: nuke staleness from svr4pkg

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Oct 15 05:20:38 PDT 2010

Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I strongly object _any_ change in these tools before we did discuss what we
> > like to achieve and before we have an agreement
>
> I don't see anything too contentious in what's proposed. The code is in
> pretty deradful shape, and needs an axe rather than a scalpel.
>
> But I do agree that we need a wider SVR4 packaging project to define
> what the goals are.

What I like to see is a e.g. a program I call "spkg" that is a convenience
wrapper around the other SVr4 tools to manage packaging. It should not be
really hard to achive the same level of user friendlynes than "pkg".

> I've done a fair amount of work in this area, some of which went into
> the source before IPS effectively blocked it from changes. Some of
> my recent work is here:
>
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/sprate.html

Thank you for this hint! I'll look at this. BTW: you might have noticed that
Sun did change several things between 117 and 147+.

BTW: replacing the call to cpio for extraction by "star -install ...", or
replacing /usr/bin/cpio by a link to star would allow to have any compression
in "archive/none" from the list of:

	compress
	gzip
	bzip2
	lzop
	p7zip
	xz

and future enhanclements without the need to modify the shell script i.none
that currently knows how the suported compression methods.

Jörg