[illumos-Developer] Trying to IPS star....

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Thu Sep 2 11:48:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:13 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
>
> > I think you're right on this... and I've posted an updated boilerplate
> > for review at admin-council and developer-council.  (I think my text
> > slightly different from yours, but it is basically the same idea --
> > forcing the 1.0 version of the CDDL.)
> >
> > I'll probably update the prototype* files with the new boilerplate
> > today.
>
> I noticed that (compared to Sun) you did omit the juristdiction and case of
> venue parts in http://www.illumos.org/license/CDDL
>
> This looks like a good idea as in Europe this cannot be set by natural persons
> and the default in Europe is the place where the authos has his center of life.
>
> I however recommend to mention http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.txt
> instead as this is a safe place out of control for any of us.

I'll have to check into that location.  For illumos, I thought the best
location for the illumos code to refer to the CDDL would be CDDL itself.
Eventually that will be controlled by a non-profit foundation.  For now
it is controlled by the admin/developer councils.

I've also declined to state how to use the license.  That is baggage
that doesn't have to be in each file, and the license itself already
explains that you can't remove the boilerplate (or alter it!) from a
file that already has it.

We may be considering some alternative to CDDL in the future -- MPL v3
is in progress, and I've been told it will be very much like CDDL, but
without the choice of venue clause.  We'll have to see it first though,
because MPL 1.1 is too onerous for most developers to use.

I'd like to consider the use of a license that was not incompatible with
GPL, but that's a different topic, and I'd prefer *not* to discuss
licensing on this list.

	- Garrett