[illumos-Developer] tr webrev

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Sat Sep 4 17:06:20 PDT 2010

So, we're faced with a choice.

The NetBSD tr sounds like it works correctly in some cases that our
current FreeBSD does not.

But from reading the review, NetBSD tr lacks support for some things
that FreeBSD supposedly has.  Chiefly support for internationalization
(which is important when dealing with multibyte locales or character
sets that have different interpretations for character classes), and
support for -C.

Here are the options I see:

a) fix the existing FreeBSD implementation.  Its hard to see if this is
more or less work.

b) use the NetBSD implementation, and accept the limitations, and
possibly work on fixing them later.

c) look at Olga's work on this -- I know that she had a ksh93/ast
derived version of tr, but I seem to recall that there were some
problems with it.  Additionally Olga has been in the hospital as she
recently had a c-section delivery.

I'm not sure what the best solution here is.  If the fixes for the
current fbsd problem are not severe, then that would be more attractive,
but I don't have time to properly investigate.

I'm not sure who uses the internationalized capability in tr, and
whether or not that capability would be missed.  Likewise the -C
capability.  Both of these are however required for POSIX.

	-- Garrett