[illumos-Developer] tr webrev

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sat Sep 4 17:29:25 PDT 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:

> So, we're faced with a choice.
>
> The NetBSD tr sounds like it works correctly in some cases that our
> current FreeBSD does not.

Could you please list these cases?

> But from reading the review, NetBSD tr lacks support for some things
> that FreeBSD supposedly has.  Chiefly support for internationalization
> (which is important when dealing with multibyte locales or character
> sets that have different interpretations for character classes), and
> support for -C.

Implementing -C for multibyte character classes is not trivial.

My general impression for BetBSD vs. FreeBSD is that FreeBSD usually is more
modern and more feature rich.

I would first like to understand the constraints (e.g. which problems are
expected from which implementation).

Jörg