[illumos-Developer] building step 3, keyboard layout changed after update to b145

Chris Mosetick cmosetick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:01:48 PDT 2010

Indeed, you are correct Garrett.  Not to drag out this conversation any
longer, but a couple more things I thought of.  It is my understanding that
what I have been doing the last few years with keyboards (manually
rearranging) is fairly common with dvorak typists (or perhaps people from
other countries living in the US).  There is relatively large (but
unnoticed) group of dvorak typist around, but not enough of them for a
company to create and sell nice dvorak boards that people want to use at a
fair price.  (TypeMatrix now features a one-touch dvorak key on their funky
$110 boards) So, we are left with a small percentage of qwerty boards that
allow you rearrange the keys in a way that they still function properly and
sit level.  To add to this, some qwerty boards that will have level keys
will not let you place the j and f keys in different positions, which is
really annoying since all boards can be re-mapped in the OS as already
witnessed.  I won't even go into my GRUB gripes and how much fun that is to
remap.  Of course if everyone else would just migrate from 1873, and at
least to 1936, err
1982<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard#Overview>,
then I would not have so much trouble with keyboards :)

-Chris