[illumos-Developer] building step 3, keyboard layout changed after update to b145

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Sep 8 03:34:57 PDT 2010

Chris Mosetick <cmosetick at gmail.com> wrote:

> The instructions on that page got me back to what I needed, so I'm good for
> now.  I agree that this bug introduced by Oracle is rather frustrating,
> (especially for me) but I'm not in a position to fix it at this point in
> time.  (I'm happy to do testing)

If I have some time, I'll check whether it is possible to remove the layout tag
from the default database and whether this brings us back to the expected and
documented behavior or whether there is a need to change kbd(1) (or even more)
in addition.

> I did read your notes from yesterday.  As stated earlier my keyboard will
> report itself as qwerty, since I manually rearranged the keys to dvorak.
> However, it is a native USB keyboard.  Perhaps my DVI+USB KVM switch is
> adding another layer of complexity.  It probably does not matter, as this
> particular machine happens to be a virtual machine inside VirtualBox, but I
> am planning to test this on a physical machine with the same keyboard and
> KVM switch too.  Thank you for getting me back to what I needed.

So it seems that you are frustrated because the documented way of calling
eeprom keyboard-layout=something no longer works

Jörg