[illumos-Developer] Missing header files building slim_source

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Sep 12 13:54:40 PDT 2010

Since illumos requires a package manager and installer, I thought I
would try building the Caiman source.  This seems to be the only OS
product that's still publically available.  I followed these
instructions, which are likely out of date:

    http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+caiman/Developers

I've been successful before in building slim_source, under an earlier
version of Opensolaris, but I ran into problems this time.  I did the
build under OS 134 upgraded to build 145.  The error I encountered was
that nightly could not find the header `libbe.h'.  This file is not
present in slim_source or in /usr/include, but I did find copies in
the illumos-gate source that I built separately.  Is there a way in
nighly or developer.sh to specify another include directory?  I
couldn't find one.  Even when I symlinked the file into /usr/include,
nightly still reported that it could not find the file.  Does nightly
only look in its own prototype or source?  How should I resolve this
problem?

As far as I can tell, slim_source seems to include all of the package
manager, repository, and installer components.  Is this correct?  I'd
like to build the IPS packages for these and contribute them to a
repository.  Maybe this has already been done.