[illumos-Developer] Missing header files building slim_source

James C. McPherson james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 14:40:02 PDT 2010

On 13/09/10 06:54 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
> Since illumos requires a package manager and installer, I thought I
> would try building the Caiman source.  This seems to be the only OS
> product that's still publically available.  I followed these
> instructions, which are likely out of date:
>
>      http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+caiman/Developers
>
> I've been successful before in building slim_source, under an earlier
> version of Opensolaris, but I ran into problems this time.  I did the
> build under OS 134 upgraded to build 145.  The error I encountered was
> that nightly could not find the header `libbe.h'.  This file is not
> present in slim_source or in /usr/include, but I did find copies in
> the illumos-gate source that I built separately.  Is there a way in
> nighly or developer.sh to specify another include directory?  I
> couldn't find one.  Even when I symlinked the file into /usr/include,
> nightly still reported that it could not find the file.  Does nightly
> only look in its own prototype or source?  How should I resolve this
> problem?
>
> As far as I can tell, slim_source seems to include all of the package
> manager, repository, and installer components.  Is this correct?  I'd
> like to build the IPS packages for these and contribute them to a
> repository.  Maybe this has already been done.

libbe.h was integrated into ON on 4 August as part of build snv_147:

changeset:   13013:3c7681e3e323
user:        Glenn Lagasse <glenn.lagasse at oracle.com>
date:        Wed Aug 04 12:28:19 2010 -0700
comments:
PSARC 2010/059 SNAP BE Management
	6964804 SNAP BE management into ON
	6971379 libbe should capture and give useful error when installgrub or ict.py fails.
	6971390 beadm does not support labeled brand zones
	6971394 BEADM_ERR_BE_DOES_NOT_EXIST has an extra space
	6971397 libbe error messages need internationalization
	6971402 Remove be_get_last_zone_be_callback
	6971409 be_create_menu returns errors from both be_errno_t and errno sets

Sounds like you've got a chicken/egg problem unless you can
find snv_147 packages somewhere and image-update to use them.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog