[illumos-Developer] [REVIEW] 113, 314, 221 nightly should not call "pkg info" & packaging nits

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Fri Sep 17 11:44:07 PDT 2010

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Looks good, although I'd like to know where the list of "categories"
> that are acceptable comes from.

Depends on your definition of acceptable, they're kinda hampered into
being intended for the GUI(s), which really aren't done in a way I'd
consider to be sane.

from pkg-gate/doc/guide-metadata-conventions.rst:
    info.classification
        A list of labels classifying the package into the categories
        shared among |pkg5| graphical clients.

        Values currently used for OpenSolaris are prefixed with
        ``org.opensolaris.category.2008:`` and must match one of the
        categories listed in ``src/gui/data/opensolaris.org.sections``

The mentioned file is installed to:
    /usr/share/package-manager/data/opensolaris.org.sections

I was talking to some of the pkg5 folk about making this more flexible,
rather than some fixed 2-level scheme.  We'll see if and where that
goes, but right now the list above (interpret the .ini-format file as a
2-level tree) is the list of things you may use without choking the
package-manager GUI.

-- Rich