[illumos-Developer] HEADS UP: netservices is gone

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Wed Sep 22 02:14:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 21:47 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > The removal of this piece of ancient and useless software is just one
> > small step on that path.
>
> 2006 hardly counts as "ancient" when looking at Solaris history.   netservices
> was introduced with Obsolete stability by the secure-by-default project in
> snv_42 as a temporary transition aid - it's not historical, though it was
> backported to Solaris 10 with the SBD project.

Its ancient in terms of what it does.   Its a hack that predates true
SMF integration.  IMO, it has little purpose on either modern S10 or
SNV.  (It was integrated into S10 to help sites that didn't want to
accept SBD.  Which is just insane.)  It still has references to dtlogin,
I think!

> In any case, removing netservices means you've got a huge pile of man pages
> to remove the references to using netservices(1) to unsecure-by-default the
> machine (a big hammer we never recommended since customers should open
> individual ports, not just open everything that was previously open and hope
> it gets what the users need).

We don't have man pages in illumos at present.  (Which is something we
need to fix.)