[illumos-Developer] [GSoC] Win. message DLL compiler

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:47:48 PDT 2011

We have one person interested in working on it.

I don't have much detail to offer yet.  Here's what I have:

The DLL format is published, and there are some open source
implementations of supersets of what we need (i.e. GNU bintutils
support for creating real DLLs). I don’t have the links to these things
handy right now, and will need to do some searching.  Albert Lee
had some pointers too, I think.  (from the Wine project?)

The format, as I recall, is a two level structure, with a “file header part”
somewhat similar to traditional COFF, and a collection of section header
parts, most of which are optional.  The only section type needed for this
project is a “resource” section, which looks like a string table.

So for the moment, let’s say part of the project is the search effort to
find the specifications defining this format, and then implementation of
just enough of this format to take a Unix-style “messages” text file and
“compile” it into a messages DLL containing only a “resource” section.

Hope that’s enough for now.

Thanks,
Gordon