[illumos-Developer] [GSoC] libc: scalable malloc implementation

Luca Longinotti chtekk at longitekk.com
Wed Apr 6 17:26:23 PDT 2011

Hi, I'm very much interested in the above task for this year's Summer
of Code. My name's Luca Longinotti, I'm a computer-science student at
the University of Zürich, Switzerland. My main interests include
multiprocessor scalability (ie. threading, especially lock-freedom and
atomic operations, ...) and OS design, basically if it's kinda
low-level I like it. I was thus happily excited, when checking the GSoC
ideas of the various OS-es this year, to find the implementation of a
scalable malloc, seeing as it is something I started to take a look at
lately, because I was seeing horrible performance of glibc's malloc
while benchmarking a lock-free data-structures library that I'm
developing, and found the memory allocator to be the culprit.
I've written up my proposal, and wouldn't mind some feedback before
officially submitting it. ;) It can be downloaded at [1].
I'm always available via E-Mail, and freenode's IRC is no stranger to
me either (nick chtekk).
Have a good day everyone and thanks!

[1]
https://chtekk.longitekk.com/illumos_gsoc2011_libc_scalable_malloc.pdf

P.S.: I've tried to contact trisk (Albert Lee) off-list, as he's listed
as possible mentor on the GSoC page, but haven't gotten any answer yet,
hopefully he'll see this. :)
--
Best regards, Luca Longinotti aka chtekk.

LongiTEKK Networks Admin: chtekk at longitekk.com
TILUG Member: chtekk at tilug.ch