[illumos-Developer] sa_evict crash

Steve Gonczi gonczi at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 19:28:06 PDT 2011

Greetings,

I have recently seen a sa_evict() crash. Obviously the sa_evict() function
has a panic() call in it, but no comment explaining why the author
went to the trouble of coding this call, and apparently setting a function
pointer to it, but taking the machine down should it ever be called.

I am hoping someone who has fingerprints on this code would comment.
Why is this call never supposed to be executed?

What may the fact that it is called, indicate?
Reference count problem?

The stack looks like this:

sa_evict+0x24(ffffff0716be60d8, ffffff077f666388)
dbuf_evict_user+0x4a(ffffff0716be60d8)
dbuf_clear+0x27(ffffff0716be60d8)
dbuf_evict+0x16(ffffff0716be60d8)
dnode_destroy+0xb3(ffffff0716bc6178)
dnode_buf_pageout+0x54(ffffff0716be6558, ffffff0716bc8200)
dbuf_evict_user+0x4a(ffffff0716be6558)
dbuf_clear+0x27(ffffff0716be6558)
dbuf_evict+0x16(ffffff0716be6558)
dbuf_do_evict+0x46(ffffff0716bf0738)