[illumos-Developer] Changing sd_io_time to 8?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Fri Apr 29 13:26:57 PDT 2011

I'd like to change sd_io_time from 60 (!) to 8.

For those who are unfamiliar, sd_io_time is the default time before the sd driver
will timeout a command. By default, it will retry 3 or 5 times before failing the I/O.

From http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/uts/common/sys/scsi/targets/sddef.h#1704

    /*
    * 60 seconds is a *very* reasonable amount of time for most slow CD
    * operations.
    */
    #define	SD_IO_TIME			60

Many RAID cards give up at around 8 seconds. Many HDDs guarantee some sort of response
in under 8 seconds (enterprise or RAID version).  If a consumer-grade drive can't get it's act
together in 8 seconds, not much chance it will get any better in 60 seconds. Nobody cares about
1x SCSI CD-ROMS circa 1989, except perhaps the SPARC folks :-)

Thoughts?
 -- richard