[illumos-Developer] pkg install X seems to fail on oi148

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Feb 1 10:22:43 PST 2011

On 02/ 1/11 10:17 AM, Frank Middleton wrote:
> Fresh install of oi147 from CD followed by image update  and
> then pkg install gdm. For some reason gdm doesn't seem to
> be dependent on X so gdm won't start.
>
> # pkg install X
> Creating Plan \pkg: No version of developer/opensolaris/X can be installed:

Note that "X" is resolving to "developer/opensolaris/X" - i.e. the packages you
need to install to build X - that won't install the X runtime packages.

> I vaguely remember seeing a thread about this, but my Google-fu is weak
> today. Is there a way to get the full desktop install without going via b134?

"pkg install slim_install" gives the full set of packages a livecd installation
would install - there's more desktop apps than that in the repo of course, but
that's a pretty good base set.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com